The Quality Assurance Office (QAO) at Middle East College (MEC) is committed to ensuring that the education it providesis of the highest quality for itsstakeholders. MEC’s Quality management system (QMS) ensuresthat all the processes and its operations adhere to the institutional policies derived from the strategic goals and seeks continual improvements in meeting the stakeholder requirements leading to customer satisfaction. In addition to the QMS, MEC has implemented Occupational Health Safety Management System (OHSMS) giving prominence to the health and well‐being of individuals on MEC campus. The QMS is adapted from the international standard ISO 9001:2015 and the OHSMS from British Standard, BS 18001:2007. MEC is the only HEI in the Sultanate of Oman to be certified for Occupational Health Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS) in adherence to the requirements of BS 18001:2007.
The effective internal quality assurance mechanisms has aided the establishment of a Quality Culture at MEC thereby meeting national requirements of Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA) and Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) and international requirements of Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), UK, and other professional bodies like IET, BCS, ECBE, CILIP, ASME and ICE.
The QAO reports directly to the Dean of the College and has delegated responsibility for monitoring, assuring and enhancing quality of processes and practices followed at MEC. There are four members in the QAO, with three QA Officers reporting to the Head of QAO. Quality Coordinators are nominated in each department to ensure Quality Assurance within the department in adherence to MEC’s Quality management system (QMS).
1. Implement and monitor policy management in accordance to the MEC Policy Management Framework.
2. Ensure that MEC processes and operations are in compliance to the institutional policies, process flowcharts and procedures.
3. Ensure that risk management is implemented, monitored and reviewed in accordance to the MEC Risk Management Framework
4. Ensure that the Quality Management System is periodically monitored and reviewed internally and externally leading to quality enhancements
5. Conduct periodic internal audits of all functions at MEC to ensure compliance with policies, procedures processes and guidelines and hence enhance academic excellence
6. Coordinate with departments concerned for organising external reviews by accrediting bodies like OAAA, accrediting professional bodies and partner universities (For example validation events, interim and periodic review visits)
7. Collate Annual Quality Reports for producing to relevant boards in the College, to partner universities and Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) as and when required.
8. Ensure that all institutional documents are document‐controlled and up‐to–date on the QA portal of the Content Management System (CMS) after necessary approvals
9. Report to appropriate Boards on internal and external audit findings, risk management and QMS documentation.
10. Provide training to staff on implementing, monitoring and enhancing Quality Management System
11. Support departments in benchmarking initiatives
No offices are reporting to QAO
Services for Staff
Conducts workshops and awareness sessions related to quality assurance for staff.
Approval of documents, document-control and making documents available and accessible to staff
Supporting departments in benchmarking initiatives